3 - 5 years
Supervise laboratory all laboratory operations related to the generation and communication of chemical testing results. Work closely with the laboratory management team and corporate technical team. May delegate responsibilities to appropriate chemistry employees when absent from the laboratory.
- Supervise chemistry laboratory operations to include guidance in the distribution of workload to maintain quality and efficiency as well as adjusting workloads as required.
- Oversee training of new and current laboratory personnel in laboratory procedures and protocols
- Ensure that sound chemical techniques are applied to the daily workload
- Assist in overseeing expenditures to include outside lab testing, shipping, and supply orders
- Ensure that all required equipment is in place and properly functioning
- Validate that all quality control procedures and documentation are in compliance and up to date with ISO 17025 guidelines as well as all technical procedures and that they are properly followed in collaboration with the Chemistry Technical Manager and the Chemistry Operations Manager
- Overall organization, housekeeping, maintenance, safety and space utilization of the laboratory
- Assist in the review of final technical reports to clients to include spreadsheets, special projects, and contract research
- Detailed knowledge of processes, procedures, or techniques in accordance with the Food Safety Net Services Methods Manual, Quality Manual, Chemical Hygiene Plan, Safety Manual, and approved laboratory procedures
- Maintain a high degree of technical competence by reading scientific journals, attending professional workshops, and being aware of food industry issues and trends
- Work with other leadership and staff to improve quality and efficiency of the work performed.
- May be asked to approve payroll hours, assist with performance review, and to provide staffing needs
- Periodically review and visually audit laboratory staff to ensure compliance with methods
- Authorized to order repair services for malfunctioning equipment as well as request new equipment with the proper price quotations
- Assist with the development of new methods
- Authorize retests of client samples based on quality control parameters
- Assisting with managing priorities and schedule such that individual goals as well as team goals are achieved with encouraged participation in the Food Safety Net Services Team
- Responsible for the safety of oneself and others working within their area
- Responsible for the completion of required training
- Supervision of up to 30 incumbents in the absence of a Chemistry Lab Manager/dependent on Lab volume
- Bachelor's degree in Life Science or related field
- Master’s degree in Life Science or related field preferred
- Two years of analytical laboratory experience
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Working knowledge of aseptic sampling technique, automated lab equipment, and acceptable methods and procedures
- Familiarity with GMP, OSHA guidelines, AOAC, AOCS and various other chemical methods and procedures
- Broad knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures of a food testing laboratory
- Knowledge of LIMS and Microsoft Office Products software.
Job ID: 241195762